Merial Limited - Frontline Tritak-Dog-Dangerous Allergic Reaction

Issue not resolved
Aug 03, 2013
review #435687

Switched my jack Russell terrier over to the Frontline Tritak after visiting my vets office & they no longer sold the Frontline Plus (which I've always given my dogs with NO reactions) Within 2hours after applying the first dose ever of the Tritak, my jack was loosing his mind.Running around like he was trying to escape from his own skin, agitated, as if someone was pinching him on the back at regular intervals; trying to scratch his back but unable to reach.

He honestly couldn't sit still for 5 seconds. Took him to urgent care at my vets office....where after $150 in charges, he was bathed & given a diphenhydramine (benedryl) shot to help calm his reaction. They said it was an allergic reaction to the added ingredient in the new Tritak product. I have since been online reading the reviews, and boy oh boy, do I wish I'd researched this ahead if time!

Apparently this is a common reaction in smaller dog breeds. I honestly never thought twice when I purchased the Tritak product as it appeared to just be a variant or 'improved' Frontline Plus product, which I had trusted the name Frontline for years. DO NOT use the product labeled Frontline Tritak it includes an added ingredient cyphenothrin which claims to repel ticks & start killing fleas, lice within 1-2 hours of application. Well in my case it quickly proved dangerous within hours!

Up all night with my agitated doggy giving him regular doses of benedryl to keep him settled.Very disappointed!

bee2f97
Had an experience with Merial Limited?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Cathy

Oct 31

I had the exact same experience last night with my 13 lb Maltipoo.
I did not go to the ER but I did give her Benedryl. She was up all night, very agitated and uncomfortable. My other dog had a terrible reaction to the new Nexgard. No more Flea/Tic medication for my dogs.

Alexia

Sep 23

I have a 12 lb. pomerian/lhaso , she had tremors along her back, was very nervous and agitated, called vet, he recommends giving her a bath in dawn dish detergent and to rinse with lots of water , also had to give her benedry. She had the tremors in her back for 2 more days(gradually decreased ). Will not be using this product in the future!

Sep 14 Lexington, Kentucky

The reviews I have read are helpful except no one gives any indication as to how long my sweet dogs will be hyper and unable to rest.

1 0 Reply

Sep 14

Probably until you wash it off. I posted my review in hopes that people would consider another product. Not subjecting their pet to any unnecessary distress!

Aug 02

Our 25lb. mutt had the same reaction.

Disappointed2

Aug 01

Same with my Shih Tzu. Poor pup had a time which meant we had one too. We should have understood better how to navigate the flee and tick world.
Disappointed2

Nancy

Jun 11

I tried Frontline Tritak on my 17 lb dog and noticed she was agitated and twitchy. Just saw this posting so I bathed her and am giving her Benadryl. Hopeful she calms down and we don't need to go to the vet tonight.

anonymous

Mar 02

I am so sorry to hear about your dog and hope he gets better. I used Frontline Tritak on my cat and it has been a nightmare! This product is basically Frontline Plus with an added toxic drug. It is called Etofenprox and is a pyrethrin-based drug that should NEVER be used on cats. My poor cat has suffered immensely with a red-blood colored burn from the application site, extreme itching, blood in the urine, vomiting, seizures and overall misery.
I called Merial to ask what to do with such a severe reaction and I was told that "they would not speak with a consumer about 'problems' and would only speak to a vet." When I checked with the EPA about the registration for this drug, it was not listed. Almost every website regarding Frontline Tritak is about dogs--there is a reason for that--it should NOT be used for cats.
Tonight my cat started hysterically biting at the base of his tail almost as if he was having a seizure. I bathed him to get the nasty toxic drug off his skin hoping he gets better.

Nov 29, 2013 Charlotte, North Carolina

Same experience with my 8 year old 6lb Yorkie-Poo. I've been using Frontline for years but experiencing adverse reactions to Tritak. He's been itching excessively, squealing and restless within hours of applying the product.

Tigress

Oct 17, 2013

I've seen your review as well as some others on Amazon and if it makes you feel better, your review and others steered me away from using it on my cat (yeah I know cats are not dogs but cats are usually even more sensitive to flea stuff).

If you liked Topspot try Sentry Fiproguard as it is generic Top Spot (I will say it tends to get more people who say it doesn't work though but I wouldn't say so many that I'd say it was useless - I work in a place I get to hear people's opinions when a product does not work). I think I read somewhere there is another generic of the same active ingredient of Frontline but I can't remember its name (sorry).

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.